Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Breakfast Smoothie: Cucumber Blueberry Goodness

I wanted to get my blog mojo going again by sharing my new favorite breakfast smoothie recipe =)  The summer is definitely over here in Colorado, but I'm not quite ready to let go just yet.
I discovered this recipe over the summer and it's become my favorite "go to" breakfast lately.  The cucumber gives is a crisp and refreshing taste, and the blueberries turn it a b.e.a.utiful shade of purple.  I hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Cucumber Blueberry Smoothie
  • 1/4 cucumber (frozen)
  • 3 celery stalks (frozen)
  • 1/4 cup blueberries (frozen)
  • 3 tbs coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I use Fage 2%)
  • 1 cup milk, plus extra if you need it (you could use almond milk or any other milk substitute)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbs agave nectar
  • *optional handful of nuts - I usually use pecans
Sounds weird, but I promise, this is delish!  Like I said, the cucumber gives this a refreshing and summery taste, the coconut adds some essential fats, and you get fiber from the blueberries and celery.  I don't usually like to "add" flavor enhancers to my smoothies, but I think the vanilla and agave really brings this whole thing to life.
As for the frozen veggies, I keep a ziploc baggie of pre-cut celery and cucumber in the freezer, so I can just add it to the blender and go.  It might sound weird, but I found that if you pull the veggies from the fridge, the smoothie isn't quite cold enough.  Plus, I don't have to worry about my veggies spoiling if I don't use them right away.

As for nutrition, here's what this smoothie will offer you:
  • 435 calories
  • 13 g fat
  • 22 g protein (woohoo!)
  • 5 g fiber (yay!)
  • 53 g carb
Obviously, adding some nuts will add a little more fat and calories, so I really only do that if I know I'll need the extra energy or calories for the day. 
Pretty, purple, and yummy!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena