Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ahhh...My Relationship with Music

 Okay, I was waiting to post again because I really want to share about the awesome weekend I just had...but I absolutely HAD to get this out!  This is top of my mind because 1) I'm experiencing it right now and 2) I just had a conversation about this my girlfriend (or gurl-fwend as we like to call each other!) Jill last night.

I have a strange relationship with music - some may call me a "music snob", but not for the reasons you think.  Lot's of people think of  "music snob" as someone who knows all about it and only listens to a certain genre or is a music scholar or something.  I am not.  I'm a "snob" in the sense that I have to listen to very specific types of music for very specific purposes.

 For example, when I am at work and cranking out emails or doing something that requires strategic thinking, I can ONLY listen to classical music.  (Online Streaming Classical - it's amazing!!!)  But, if I'm doing something mundane like updating our websites, I can listen to stuff with lyrics (thank you, Pandora!).  If I'm working out and doing strength training, I have to listen to something heavy and/or angry (Metallica...you rock a little).  If I'm stretching or doing ab work, bring on the soft rock (think Delilah - don't knock her - she rocks) and running/cardio - well pretty much anything punk or rap or happy or up beat...really anything...as long as it's fast and the beat is exactly perfect to where I can keep in time with the music.

Before I continue, let me give you a quick history - I was involved in a certain high school activity where keeping in time with music was VERY important.  Let's say it was dance team (heheh)  And if you couldn't keep in time, then you pretty much blew and were not allowed in the front of the group to be showcased to the crowd =)  This is likely the reason I can only run "in time" with songs...and it's annoying (does this happen to anyone else?!?!)


Also, after I graduated high school, I actually became a 'dance team' instructor at a different school.  Hence, I was the one in charge of making sure my kids could keep in time with music...and I had to choreograph to it too.  This takes an extra keen ear, especially if you want to make your shows exciting, since you have to pick up on subtleties and bring them out in a visual way.  You essentially have to "see" the music.

Okay, I digress...history lesson over.  Back to the situation I'm dealing with.  I'm a music snob...

So, since I'm at the office right now, and I'm doing some strategic thinking, I'm listening to my classical music.  There are times when I'll know the song playing, or recognize it, but for the most part, I just enjoy the beauty =)  But then there are situations like what JUST happened!

I had to stop working and all I could do was sit in my chair and fight the urge to stand up and dance!  The song playing was one I'm sure you know, although you may not know it by name.  It's "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" by Frank Liszt.  It essentially reminds me of a Bugs Bunny/Loony Toons or Roger Rabbit cartoon.

Literally...I'm sitting at my desk trying to work and all I could think about was the fact that I saw bunnies and cartoons frolicking around in the forest!  And then I started thinking of show ideas and actually began choreographing in my head.  I mean I had to actually GRIP the chair to keep my body in place!

Has the EVER happened to anyone else???  Am I the only one who struggles with this?  People from my past - do you choreograph when you hear something that captivates you?  It's almost an addiction...I may go home, download the song, and start coming up with show concepts - although this particular music is so annoying that I would never subject a group of kids to listening to it over and over again =)

Okay - long post - and not about anything in particular...but I had to get it out!

Happy Hump Day!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, just come out and say it, everyone following your blog would know exactly what 'it' is. We won't judge you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Hilarious!
    2. I haven't ever done that....
    3. Are you embarassed because color guard is with the marching band?
    4. Happy Hump day...very original!

    I love you and your blog. I am so glad you are doing it! This really brought a smile to my face as I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - for the record - I am NOT embarrassed that I did color guard! It was super fun and it's how I met most of the amazing ladies in my life =) It's just a confusing concept for those who didn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband was a "football guy" and cant believe he is married to the drum major of "that other activity".... To make things worse, my dad talked about my drum major days in his wedding toast....thanks dad! My secret was out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post!!!!! Sarah - That is HILARIOUS!! Josh was the "soccer star" and my dad totally talked about me being a drum major in his wedding toast too! I leaned over to Josh and said...I'm so glad he's making me look like a giant nerd in front of your family! Whatever, we were all totally cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you, but then again I was on dance team too... So I'm not saying it's normal. But let me tell you about the weird kick I'm on right now. So I'm obsessed with glee- that's a given, and I absolutely can't get certain dance/ song routines out of my head. Right now it is another one hits the dust sung by Jesse and vocal adrenaline. I watch the you tube clip like 4 times a day and it takes total restraint to not get up and dance to the music in my head all day at work . It's sick, I know. I think I've resorted to my eighth grade self....

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena