Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Breakfast Smoothie

Due to circumstances beyond my control (aka GNC changing the formula of my favorite protein powder...jerks), I have been forced to give my breakfast routine a bit of a facelift.

Previously, my breakfast consisted of about 12 oz skim milk with 1 scoop of protein powder and it was perfect!  Just over 250 calories and 30 g protein...it was simple, easy and kept me full until mid-morning snack time.  But since I no longer have this wondrous product at my disposal anymore, I've had to get creative.

Enter the rediscovery of my blender.  I don't know why this handy little device was so under-utilized before (I think I was apprehensive to use it since it's a pain to clean every day), but it's become my new best friend!
Here's the breakfast smoothie I've been enjoying the past few weeks:
  • - 2 c raw spinach
  • - 1/3 c frozen blueberries or peaches (or any fruit, really!)
  • - 1/2 frozen banana
  • - 8 oz skim milk
  • - 2 tbs PB2 - powdered peanut butter (uh...this stuff is kind of baller)
 Yummy yummy!  Depending on how much fruit and milk I add, this recipe is very close to the "caloric" value of my previous breakfast at just about 250 calories and 18 g protein.  However, now I'm getting the added bonus of glorious carbs and loads of fiber from all the nutritious fruits and veggies.  Not to mention, it's delish =)

So, thank you, dodo-heads over in the "formula department" at GNC, for changing your formula.  If you hadn't, I probably never would have discovered my new favorite breakfast smoothie =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena